Dust off your dream or wishes, and make it a goal.
How do you land your desired job?
- Determine first what you want, and be honest with yourself
- Apply for those job opportunities that speak to your values
- Make a written list- if money is your only reason, you will end up jumping from one job to the next without satisfaction, and you risk spending a great portion of your life in that cycle, and looking back in regret.
- Let your questions answer to your physical needs, intellectual needs and emotional needs. Do not do a job in which you’re conflicted about it’s ethics, and find a career that will continue to push you to grow intellectually.
- When we talk about a perfect job, there is none that will not come with it’s challenges. It might be the role you’re assigned, your colleagues, a new environment… brave them. Yet, focus on your ultimate goals in your career.
- You need to define the job you want and go for it.
Land the Job
- Once you apply and are called in for the interview, identify and market yourself on those skills they are looking for.
- Discuss results and not activities and strategically apply how those results can benefit the company
- Think of yourself as an intrapreneur within that company- how will your presence bring growth to them
- Answer their questions- and stick to what is being asked
- If you have a less-engaged interviewer on the panel, there might be a reason- consider asking them if there’s any reason they would choose not to hire you- and be ready to respond tactfully.
Learn Internship Basics
- For students on this call- no matter your university level, start interning now.
- When hired, learn everything including what you “don’t like”- p.s. every job will have components that you don’t like, but as you take on those roles outside your comfort zone, you might end up discovering that you actually enjoy it. Maybe you will also discover that your initial career choice is not what you will enjoy once you’re on the field.
- Internships will therefore will help you in the path to what you should really be doing, leading you closer to what is right for you.
- Also, your internship experience can get you a good job when you graduate.
- Internships are one of the best ways to build your professional connections- people who can speak to the value that you added as an intern.
- Your Network’s network can benefit you. Make the effort to get to know people at different levels and departments.
- Stay connected on a regular basis
- While interning, look for opportunities to add value
- Learn soft skills- develop more than just hard skills like excel or creating content
- But also Learn how to work well with others, problem solve, manage your time, demonstrate resilience- your soft skills will shine; Internships give you the opportunities of real life scenarios to work on your soft skills.
What does it take to be a successful Freelancer?
First, you have to hone your skills (in other words perfect your skills) so that when you are called on to do a job, you actually deliver on it.
How do you become perfect with a skill?
1.) Start a side- project of your own because practice makes perfect.
2.) Start participating in projects and taking on small projects. Once you start your Forget about the money- focus on delivering what your client needs to build your reputation and credibility.
4.) As you get good- Only choose those projects on which you can deliver, and deliver well.
5.) Do not stop learning, never assume you know everything.
6.) Have great customer service skills- you might encounter difficult customers at some point, but do not lose your cool; remember you are building soft as well as hard skills.
7.) Find a mentor
Work hard, stay dedicated and motivated- always have a strong reason, a strong why, and let your why be your motivation for your dedication and resilience.